We treat sciatica at Universal Treatment and Recovery Center. Our chiropractor in Elyria, OH, has extensive experience diagnosing and treating this common nerve pain condition. Chiropractic wellness options include spinal adjustment and spinal decompression to stop lower back pain and leg pain linked to issues with the sciatic nerve.
Pain and the Sciatic Nerve
Sciatic nerve pain is a type of lumbar radiculopathy that starts from one or more spinal nerve roots in the lumbar spine. The sciatic nerves are affected because they connect to the nerve roots and extend pass the hips and buttocks to the legs and feet. The pain usually radiates along the path of one of the two sciatic nerves but can affect both in rare cases.
What Causes Sciatica?
The primary cause of pain is inflammation, irritation, or compression (pinching) of the sciatic nerve. The most common contributing factor is a bulging or herniated disc that protrudes into the spinal canal and irritates the nerve root. Other low back problems that cause pain include:
- Inflammation from osteoarthritis
- Spinal stenosis
- Dislocation of a vertebrae
- Spasms from the buttock muscles
- Degenerative disc disease (DDD)
Risk factors include age, awkward posture when lifting heavy, excess weight from obesity, pregnancy, or prolonged sitting.
Sciatic Nerve Pain Symptoms
Irritation of the sciatic nerve causes persistent or off-and-on symptoms in the low back and lower extremities. Some of these symptoms can be severe or debilitating. Typical symptoms include sharp, dull, burning, or electric-like lower back pain, hip pain, or leg pain felt mostly in the calf. Reduced leg function is also common due to weakness or loss of sensation. Rest or movement may increase or decrease the pain.
Sciatica Treatment from an Elyria, OH Chiropractor
Dr. Jason will make a diagnosis through a physical exam, spinal x-ray, and other tests routinely used to diagnose sciatic nerve pain. We can then tailor your chiropractic wellness care plan to suit your needs.
- Spinal Manipulation/Adjustment: Dr. Jason will try to free the nerve by realigning the vertebrae. This can be done manually or using an advanced instrument-based technique called the Koren Specific Technique (KST).
- Spinal Decompression Therapy: Non-surgical decompression of the spine is an effective therapy for nerve pain caused by problems with a spinal disc. The treatment helps free trapped nerves by gently pulling herniated or bulging discs back between the vertebral bones.
Both of these chiropractic methods relieve lower back pain, leg pain, numbness, and tingling, as well as improve spine functions. You may also benefit from therapeutic massages, cold laser therapy, strengthening exercises, posture advice, nutritional counseling, and other therapies designed to promote overall wellness.
Visit our Sciatica Chiropractor in Elyria, OH
Early treatment can help prevent permanent nerve damage or surgery. Call (440) 324-4488 to request a consultation at Universal Treatment and Recovery Center.